Associate Writer, CNNPolitics
Posting Job Title
Associate Writer, CNNPolitics
Time Warner Division
Cable/Broadcast Television Networks
Games â€“ Development & Publishing
Area of Interest
United States - District of Columbia - Washington
Posting Job Description
CNNPolitics is hiring an Associate Writer!
See what itâ€™s like to work at CNN! Follow us on Instagram , Twitter and Facebook .
Associate writers for CNN Politics' breaking news team will report, write, package and publish quick takes on daily news events for the largest news audience on the Internet. All associate writers are obsessed with accuracy. This position is primarily a writing role built around monitoring internal news gathering threads, on-air interviews and reporting, and competing news outlets' coverage to coordinate with editors about needed content for CNN platforms.
The team adheres to the highest standards of journalism. Associates on the team will collaborate with colleagues across CNN, including news gathering and social discovery, photography and field reporters, to report, fact check and prioritize news items.
What will you be doing?
- Conceptualize, write and edit content focused on a user-driven strategy that understands the nuances of packaging content for the web, mobile web, social (primarily Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, and leading social messaging apps), and apps.
- Generate story ideas.
- Work with editors to produce sections, special coverage pages, or the home page as needed.
- Pitch non-breaking stories as time allows and news warrants.
- Create sharp headlines.
- Conduct phone interviews and cover Washington events as needed.
- Gather facts and fact check.
- Contribute to special features and stories.
- Use a presence on social media to gather and check information.
- Interact with internal and external peers and managers to exchange information related to assigned activities.
- Receive work in the form of short-term assignments that require the application of independent judgement.
- Work subject to regular supervisory review at regular intervals.
- Operate within the context of defined procedures.
- Write with clarity, voice and context.
- Demonstrate a high pace of activity and deep curiosity about current events/Show a high level of flexibility and the ability to juggle multiple tasks at once.
What do we need from you?
- 1-2 years of progressively related experience.
- Basic understanding of news and high interest in politics and policy.
- Basic understanding of storytelling.
- Excellent writer
- College degree
But wait, thereâ€™s more!
Paid time off every year to volunteer
2017 Best Company for Working Mothers
An in-house learning and development team to help shape and grow your career
Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands like HBO, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, TNT, and TBS
**MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***.. and its subsidiaries are Equal Opportunity Employers and E-Verify users. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.